Timeline: Chesterwood Property (1896-Present)

1897

  • Daniel Chester French (DCF) purchases property in Glendale, Massachusetts and begins renovation and design of summer home and studio called Chesterwood (his third and named after his father’s house in Chester, New Hampshire). Family usually lived at Chesterwood from May to October.

1897-8

  • Barn at Chesterwood relocated

1898

  • Studio at Chesterwood completed on former site of barn; work on formal garden underway.  Henry Bacon designs the studio, and it may have been one of his first commissions after leaving McKim, Mead, and White.

1900-01

  • Henry Bacon designs the house at Chesterwood.

1904

  • Tennis court installed at Chesterwood.

1909

  • Henry Bacon designs the garage at Chesterwood.

1911

  • Henry Bacon designs the garden fountain at Chesterwood.  DCF purchases the Hawkins House (The Canary).

1919

  • DCF purchases the Dormouse

1920s

  • Red House enlarged and becomes residence of Charles Dupuy until 1955

1931

  • DCF dies at Chesterwood; funeral services held in the studio. Mary French inherits Chesterwood.

1932

  • William Penn Cresson dies at Chesterwood.  Little Studio renamed the Meadowlark and becomes residence of Helen and Prentiss French (nephew of DCF).

1939

  • Mary French dies. Margaret French Cresson inherits Chesterwood.

1941

  • Margaret (MFC) rents all three of her Chesterwood houses for the season.

1955

  • Chesterwood opens to the public.

1962

  • Chesterwood and 70 acres conveyed to the Daniel Chester French Foundation.
  • Barn rehabilitated.  Prentiss French makes major landscape changes that establish the current visitor circulation patterns, including parking lots, etc.

1966

  • The DCF Foundation acquires the Lyme Kiln Lot (4.4 acres east of the barn).

1967

  • The DCF Foundation petitions the National Trust to acquire Chesterwood.

1968

  • The National Trust acquires Chesterwood but MC retains life estate to house and contents.

1969

  • Little Studio (Meadowlark) and four acres donates to National Trust (rented during the summer for income and later provides accommodations for Guggenheim Scholar-in-Residence Program.

1978

  • Contemporary Sculpture at Chesterwood inaugurated.

1979

  • Reconstructed Woodland Walk opens based on route used in DCF’s period.

1987

  • Garage rehabilitated as the Stephen V. C. Morris Visitor Reception Area.

1988

  • Woodshed rehabilitated for meeting space.

 
 

Daniel Chester French Sculptures (Flickr)

Chesterwood Videos:

Contact Us

Address:
4 Williamsville Road (physical address)
PO Box 827 (mailing address)
Stockbridge, MA 01262

Telephone: 413.298.3579
Extension 2023 for Admissions/Shop
Extension 2034 for additional tour information,
including group reservations

Fax: 413.298.1065
Email: chesterwood@savingplaces.org

Supported in part by: